If you’re injured due to another person’s negligence, you should talk to a Manassas, VA personal injury lawyer. The attorney will help you get damages from the party at fault. By filing a personal injury claim you can recover medical expenses, lost wages, mileage costs, and other expenses. For you to get compensated your personal injury lawyer would have to show:
- The negligent person had an obligation to guarantee your safety. A personal injury lawyer in Manassas has to prove the party at fault owed you a duty of care. For example, a doctor has a duty to offer a patient the best medical treatment and follow proper medical procedures.
- The defendant breached this duty. If a doctor prescribes you the wrong medication for your illness, they have breached their duty of care.
- The reckless actions or inaction of the party at fault caused you to be injured. The third thing a personal injury lawyer would show in your case is causation. Let’s say you injured your back in a slip and fall accident. The lawyer must prove your back pains are as a result of that fall. If a doctor was negligent but you weren’t hurt, you cannot file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
- The accident led to losses. A Manassas personal injury attorney will have to prove that there were losses that resulted from your accident. This can be property damage or physical injury. To show this, a lawyer would use medical bills, calculations of lost wages and proof of pain.
After your accident, it is important to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. Once you get medical treatment for your injuries, the next thing you should do is contact a lawyer. A personal injury lawyer in Manassas will guide you through the process of getting compensation from the negligent party. From their experience, they’ll advise on the amount of compensation to claim for your injuries. They will also tell you about the legal challenges to expect.
Types of Case We Handle
How Much Does a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney Cost?
After an accident, it is a good idea to get yourself a personal injury attorney in Virginia. Many accident victims, however, shy away from doing so because they believe they cannot afford one. TV shows are always showing lawyers being paid by the hour. That’s got to be expensive. The good news is if you hire a Virginia personal injury attorney you won’t pay them by the hour. You also won’t pay them anything until they successfully conclude your case.
Personal injury lawyers in Virginia are paid on a contingency basis. That means their getting paid is contingent on them getting you a settlement. It doesn’t matter whether your claim is awarded by a court or through negotiations with an insurance company. If your case goes to trial and your claim is dismissed, both you and the lawyer get nothing. Most contingency fees are usually 33-40% of the compensation awarded.
When you hire a Virginia personal injury attorney, have a discussion with them on how they charge their contingency fee. For a workers compensation claim note that the legal fees are set by the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission. The fee should be up to 20% of the total compensation awarded.
Contingency fees work in favor of accident victims. If lawyers charged per hour, a lot of injured people wouldn’t be able to take action against a negligent person. Also, because they are not paying anything upfront, victims can get the best attorneys to represent them. The personal injury lawyers you hire should be as good as those representing the insurance company of the defendant. Because the attorney only gets paid when they win a case, they’re likely to work hard for their client.
Contingency fees, therefore, offer a win-win situation in a personal injury case. Now that you know how personal injury lawyers are paid, you should not fear talking to one about your accident. Case consultations are not charged. During your free consultation, the attorney will listen to the facts of your case first. They will then determine if you have a valid claim and what legal strategy can get you compensation.
Cases Our Personal Injury Lawyer in Virginia Handles
There are so many types of accident. You could be involved in a car accident, fall at a restaurant, or get bitten by a dog. Accidents can also happen anywhere in your home or office or at a restaurant, amusement park or hospital. Your accident may cause you serious injuries which may change your life forever. Getting the party at fault to compensate you for your injuries is only fair. You might not know how to get compensation from them but that’s no problem. Whatever type of accident you’re involved in, contact a personal injury lawyer at Ashcraft & Gerel. They will assist you to determine if you have good grounds to file a lawsuit against the party at fault. If you have a valid claim, they’ll explain how they will build a solid legal case to get you compensation. Whether it’s an individual, company or government agency, Ashcraft & Gerel attorneys have the experience to file lawsuits against them. A Virginia personal injury lawyer will get you damages for both physical and psychological pain. Because accidents occur in many different ways, at Ashcraft & Gerel we take cases in a variety of practice areas.
If you want to have a better chance of getting compensation for your injuries, ensure you hire a qualified attorney. Questions you should ask a personal injury lawyer in Virginia before letting them handle your case are:
- What are their qualifications?
- How familiar are they with how the Virginia court system works?
- What experience do they have with injury cases like yours?
- How often do they settle cases or go to trial?
- Will they handle your case personally or give it to another attorney?
- How long will the case likely take?
- What are their attorney’s fees and expenses?
- What do they think of your case?
How the lawyer answers the above questions should tell you if they are competent to handle your case.
Contact Our Manassas, VA Personal Injury Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one are injured at a restaurant, mall, swimming pool or another property talk to us. Don’t try to get compensation from the negligent party by yourself. That is not likely to go well. The insurance company of the person at fault may try to contact you after the accident. Don’t talk to them before talking to a personal injury lawyer at Ashcraft & Gerel. Insurers don’t like paying claims. When they get in touch with you they’re probably looking for information they can use to dismiss your claim. If they offer you a settlement, don’t take it. Your case is likely to be worth much more. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be looking to quickly settle.
When you call us for a consultation we will assess your case and offer our opinion on it. At Ashcraft & Gerel we have;
- Experience in assessing claims. After looking at the evidence you provide, we can tell if you have a valid personal injury claim. If it’s valid, we will advise you which damages to claim.
- Experience with the Virginia legal system. We have been practicing lawyers for many years. We know what it takes to win a personal injury case. From our experience, we will work hard to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Experience negotiating. For an insurance company to agree to pay you the deserved compensation, they need a tough negotiator. We have negotiated for many accident victims in the past. We, therefore, know the tricks insurance companies may use to try to get out of paying damages. We know how to respond to those tricks.
You only have one chance to file a personal injury lawsuit. Protect your right to get compensation by hiring an experienced lawyer. Talk to us today at 844-707-8422.