L. Palmer Foret has almost 40 years of legal experience. He is experienced in medical malpractice, product liability, and other types of personal injury cases. Mr. Foret also focuses his efforts on commercial litigation.
L. Palmer Foret | Of Counsel
L. Palmer Foret
With almost 40 years of experience to his name, L. Palmer Foret applies his skills and experience to helping individuals in medical malpractice, product liability, and other types of personal injury cases. He also represents businesses and individuals who find themselves in commercial litigation lawsuits. Mr. Foret merged his successful practice with Ashcraft & Gerel in 2010, bringing his aggressive style of representation and wealth of knowledge about the law.
With Palmer on board, the firm has been able to strengthen its practice in medical malpractice, product liability, other personal injury cases, and broaden its practice to include a more intensive focus on commercial and contract litigation.
Mr. Foret previously served as president of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington D.C. He is listed as one of “The Best Lawyers in America” by the invitation only publication Best Lawyers for his successful representation of plaintiffs in both medical malpractice and personal injury litigation, as well as one of Washington’s top lawyers in Washingtonian magazine.
Mr. Foret is proud to have won a large settlement in a commercial litigation contract case against oil and gas giant Chevron and its former subsidiary, Unocal. Unocal failed to pay his client, eLawForum, the full amount of a service fee that was owed per a contract agreement.
The case against a vast corporation and its extensive legal team was a true tale of “David v. Goliath,” taking nearly five years of intense litigation to resolve. Owing largely to Mr. Foret’s perseverance and willingness to represent this client on a contingent fee basis, eLawForum was able to recover its rightfully-earned monies against a large corporation that had the resources to outspend the client.
Beginning as a defense lawyer in 1978, Mr. Foret transitioned to medical malpractice and personal injury in 1989 while running his own highly successful practice. His interest in contract and commercial litigation started with representing clients in insurance coverage disputes. More recently, this has evolved to include large-scale contract and commercial litigation cases. Mr. Foret continues to handle medical malpractice, product liability, and other types of personal injury cases.
Outside the Courtroom
Mr. Foret has given numerous legal presentations over the years on topics ranging from medical malpractice to ethical concerns in the practice of intellectual property law. Many of these have been given to members of the District of Columbia bar, and the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. of which he is a past president. His expertise has also been sought at events including the NASA Occupational Health Meeting, the National Association of College and University Attorney’s Meeting, and the D.C. Defense Lawyers’ Annual Meeting.
- B.A., Colgate University, 1974
- J.D., Gonzaga University, 1977
- District of Columbia
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Best Lawyers in America
- International Who’s Who of Professionals
- Washington Top Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine
- Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals
- Who’s Who in American Law
- American Association for Justice
- Breast Cancer Litigation Group
- Industrial & Agricultural and Vehicles Litigation Group
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Professional Negligence Section
- Public Education Committee
- Scientific and Medical Integrity Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Injury to Persons and Property Section
- Medical Malpractice Committee Chair, 1996-1997
- Steering Committee, 1996-1997
- Judicial Conference of the District of Columbia
- Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
- The Roscoe Pound Foundation
- Case Evaluator & Arbitrator, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC
- President, 2003-2004
- President-Elect, 2002-2003
- Vice-President, 2001-2002
- Treasurer, 2000-2001
- Secretary, 1999-2000
- Board of Governors, 1996-2005
- Executive Committee, 1999-2004
- Membership Committee Chair and Co-Chair, 1996-1999
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice