A lot of accidents happen every day in America. The majority are caused by negligence. If you’re in an accident caused by someone’s actions or inaction, you can sustain serious injuries. Treatment can come with a heavy financial cost. The injuries may also cause you to take time off from work to recover. This can mean losing wages. If you can’t go back to work due to your injuries, you lose your ability to earn. Injuries can also leave you permanently disabled or with lifelong pain. You might want to make the negligent party pay. To do that, you would need to hire a personal injury lawyer in Baltimore. A personal injury lawyer would help you hold the person liable and get you compensated for your injuries. You should hire Baltimore personal injury lawyer who has:
- Experience in assessing claims. If you file a personal injury lawsuit alone, you’re not likely to know how much your case is worth. A personal injury lawyer has made numerous claims on behalf of accident victims. Once they look at the facts of your case they can come up with a list of damages to claim. They can advise you on whether you have a valid claim or if your claim is unlikely to be successful.
- Experience navigating the legal system. Filing a lawsuit can be complex. A lot of paperwork will be necessary and some red tape is to be expected. A Baltimore personal injury lawyer understands legal procedures. This knowledge can be the determining factor in whether you get compensated for your injuries or not.
- Experience negotiating. Should you negotiate for a settlement with an insurance company without an attorney, you’re unlikely to get what you deserve. A personal injury attorney in Baltimore knows how to negotiate with insurance companies. They can, therefore, get you a fair settlement for your injuries.
Experience working within the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is a state law outlining the time a person has to file a personal injury claim. In Baltimore, you have three years from the date of an accident to file a claim. An attorney in Baltimore will ensure you don’t miss any deadlines. Missing deadlines will see your personal injury claim dismissed even if you had a strong claim.
Types of Case We Handle
How Does a Personal Injury Attorney in Baltimore, MD Get Paid?
A concern you might have before hiring an attorney in Baltimore, MD is how much they’ll charge for your case. This concern is understandable. You’re probably spending a lot on medication and your finances may be low if you are not working. Expensive legal fees will therefore not be something that you can afford. The good news is you don’t have to pay any upfront legal fees to a Baltimore personal injury lawyer. When it comes to legal fees, there are three things to know.
- First consultations are free. Well-established injury lawyers don’t charge you for the initial consultation. When you get in touch with a personal injury lawyer, they won’t ask you to pay to assess your claim. Whether by phone or in person, a lawyer will first listen to what caused your accident. Once you provide them with the evidence you have, they will advise you on the merits of your case. In the initial consultation, they’ll also tell you if your case is valid and what their legal strategy would be.
- Baltimore, MD personal injury attorneys are paid a contingency fee. Most attorneys will charge a contingency fee to injured clients or the families of persons killed in an accident. This means they will only get paid when the case is done and you’re compensated. A key thing to note is if you don’t get damages, you don’t pay the lawyer. The arrangement with the lawyer will be no win, no pay. If the lawyer gets you a settlement, they will take one-third of this amount. Contingency fees work in favor of accident victims. This is because they won’t have to pay retainers and hourly billings. These can be expensive for the duration of their case.
- The fees for an attorney in a workers’ compensation claim in Maryland are set by a statute. If you are injured while at work you can claim compensation. A good personal injury attorney in Baltimore can help you get your workers’ comp more quickly. When you are awarded your compensation, the attorney will be entitled to not more 20% of the settlement. Some inexperienced attorneys may try charging one-third of the compensation. This is wrong and you shouldn’t agree to it.
When you decide to hire a lawyer to represent you, don’t shy away from asking them how they get paid.
Cases Our Personal Injury Attorney in Baltimore Handles
Accidents can occur anywhere and due to varied reasons. You could be at a red light and a reckless driver who was speeding rear-ends your car. At a shopping mall you could slip and fall due to a wet floor a business owner failed to dry. A dog can bite you at the park because the owner didn’t take proper care to ensure it didn’t attack. Whatever the cause of your accident, if you believe it was caused by someone’s negligence you should get compensation. Our personal injury lawyers at Ashcraft & Gerel have represented accident victims for years. Whatever type of accident you were involved in, our lawyers will ably represent you. To ensure you have the best legal representation, a lawyer specifically suited to your case will be assigned to you. If you’re injured in an auto accident, a car accident attorney will assess your case. For a workers’ compensation personal injury claim, an attorney experienced in such claims will work with you. At our law firm, we take on a wide range of personal injury cases. These include:
<Insert list here. >
Whether you are taking on a negligent driver, a negligent doctor, or a careless landlord, you need proper representation. If you get an inexperienced personal injury attorney in Baltimore, they might not get you the compensation you deserve. Worse still, they might cause you to lose your right to any damages because of the careless blunders they make. Don’t jeopardize your case by hiring an inexperienced personal injury attorney. Hire a lawyer who understands the ins and outs of cases involving your type of accident. With such an attorney, you have the best chance of getting the maximum compensation form the negligent party.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Getting hurt because of another’s negligence can cause you and your family a lot of pain and suffering. At Ashcraft & Gerel we understand how trying that time after an accident can be. That’s why we would love for you to focus on your recovery and let us handle your legal challenges. Through our experienced legal team, we can ensure the person who caused you to be injured is held liable. After going through the facts of your accident, we will work to get you a fair settlement. Damages we can get you include:
- Medical bills. Treating your injuries will definitely not come cheap. One or several visits to the hospital can strain your finances. It is therefore only fair that these costs are taken care of by the party at fault. If you require any future medical treatment, the costs of this treatment will also be sort in your claim.
- Lost wages. You are likely to be away from work following your accident. The income lost during that time can be paid as compensation. If you’re unable to work again due to permanent disability, you can also get compensation for this.
- Pain and suffering. This will include both physical and emotional pain. Dog bites, for example, can be extremely painful. The attack can also leave you scarred for life. These scars can cause you to have low self-esteem. For the pain and suffering caused by the dog bite, the dog’s owner should pay damages.
- Punitive damages. Depending on the type and cause of your accident, you may be entitled to punitive damages. These are imposed to punish a negligent person. They also aim to deter them from acting again in the same way that caused your injuries. Punitive damages awarded can be large.
If you or a loved one has been in an accident, call us today and have a free consultation. We will determine if you have a valid personal injury claim and what legal options are available.