Christopher V. Tisi Senior Partner
Christopher Tisi is an experienced trial and appellate attorney with a 26 year record of landmark trial verdicts and significant appellate victories. Chris has been called upon to handle some of the firms most high-profile cases. These include several multi-million dollar compensatory and punitive damage jury verdicts for consumers in cases against the manufacturers of unsafe pharmaceuticals. Most recently, he has worked on a case involving hundreds of consumers who were spied upon through programs surreptitiously installed on their computers
Respected by both his colleagues and the judiciary, Chris has been appointed to sever as a leader in numerous high-profile cases against drug and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Through his leadership in cases involving drugs like Vioxx, Omniscan, Phenylpropanolamine, Fen-Phen and Zyprexa, consumers have recovered over 20 billion dollars in settlements.
Chris has been called upon to handle some of Ashcraft & Gerel’s largest and ground-breaking cases, including:
- Decker v. GE Healthcare. A five million dollar compensatory damage verdict in a case against the Omniscan, a gadolinium-based MRI contrast agent. In the case, the plaintiff proved that he developed a debilitating disease as a result of the manufacturers failure to warn of the drugs’ risks. Mr. Tisi was featured in a ProPublica article for his efforts to prove GE neglected the recommendation of its own safety experts to “proactively” restrict its use of the gadolinium-based MRI contrast agent.
- Morgado v. Pfizer. A 2 million dollar compensatory damage verdict. Mr. Tisi was appointed to serve as co-chair of the Plaintiff’s Discovery Committee for pensatory and punitive damage verdict in favor of a consumer who developed acute liver failure following ingesting Rezulin, a diabetes drug.
- Ray v. American Red Cross. A significant appellate victory in a case where a plaintiff developed HIV (the virus that causes AIDS), following a blood transfusion.
- Boston v. Warner-Freuhauf. A significant appellate victory expanding the legal liability for the manufacture of defective products.
In addition to his trial and appellate successes, Chris has been judicially appointed by federal judges throughout the country to represent the interests of tens of thousands of consumers who claimed that they were injured by unsafe drugs and other pharmaceuticals. These include:
- In Re: Vioxx product Liability Litigation, MDL 1657 (E.D.La). Mr Tisi was judicially appointed by the Court to serve on the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee. He also served as co-chair for discovery and, in that capacity, oversaw Vioxx-related discovery for numerous federal and state trials resulting verdicts and settlements totaling 4.85 billion dollars.
- In Re: Gadolinium Based Contrast Agent Litigation, MDL 1909 (N.D.OH). Mr. Tisi was appointed to serve as co-chair of the Plaintiff’s Discovery Committee. In that capacity, Mr. Tisi oversaw discovery against the manufacturer of Omniscan which was alleged to be responsible for hundreds of cases of Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis, a debilitating disease.
- Mr. Tisi was also appointed to serve as a member of the Discovery and Science Committees for other large pharmaceutical mass tort cases including In Re: Drug Pharmaceutical Litigation (Fenfluramine/Dexfenfluramine/Phentermine) Product Liability Litigation, MDL 1203 (E.D. Pa), In Re: Rezulin Product Liability Litigation, MDL 1348 (S.D. N.Y.), In Re: Phenylpropanolamine Product Liability Litigation, MDL 1407 (D. Wash) and In Re: Zyprexa Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1596 (E.D.N.Y.).
Outside the Courtroom
Mr. Tisi lectures to trial lawyers throughout the country on mass tort litigation and general trial practice issues. Always the consummate teacher, he readily shares his knowledge on topics such as: the use of scientific and medical evidence in a pharmaceutical case; how to try a failure-to-warn case; how to rebut defenses in a pharmaceutical case; how to review raw clinical trial data; and the ethics of mass tort settlements.
Recently, Chris was invited to join the “Summit Counsel,” a professional organization limited to attorneys with significant trial and litigation experience and successes whose goal is to expand and protect the rights of consumers through innovative legal advocacy.